Pin It

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

To Shop or Not to Shop

Tomorrow is the last day of a sale at one of my favorite online bead stores. Do I buy more, to get the most of this really good deal, or be happy with what I'd already bought earlier in the week? Decisions, decisions.

I have a few places online where I shop. There really isn't anywhere near me that I can go to in person, other than JoAnns or Michaels. Where do y'all buy your beads at? I appreciate any hints of places that offer great prices or unique beads.

For those starting out, check the sites carefully before deciding to buy. Not all sites are created equally, and they can often differ depending on whether you bead for pleasure or for business. Most places will offer discounts based on volume buying. Some offer free shipping, others don't. Catch there is - make sure you check the prices carefully. A free shipping site may have a higher cost on the merchandise. Not always, but it's always best to look carefully to be sure.

Also, make sure to sign up for newsletters from the sites you decide on. Why miss a good sale because you don't like spam? But be careful here, too...some sites get a little over-enthusiastic about sending emails, though you may have the option to curb some of the correspondence if it gets to be too much. Fire Mountain Gems, for instance, will send emails almost every day if you click on all the options they offer, but they do give the opportunity to say that you prefer to only hear from them once a week or whatever. My two personal favs, artbeads.com and fusionbeads.com only send  emails once a week and that's how I hear about their sales.

Be creative and open-minded when choosing where to shop. Pretend you're in the grocery store and comparison shop. Sometimes a price looks good until you break it down to the per-bead price. Then you quietly back away and RUN!

And if you find a site that is to beading die for...let me know!
Earrings made from beads ordered from fusionbeads.com. Design idea also came from their site on the Inspiration section.

No comments:

Post a Comment